I can define slavery.
I can identify when slavery occurs.
I can identify the basic values governing slavery.
I can explain when slavery began in North America.
I can explain how a group of people in history rationalized the treatment of people as slaves.
I can explain why many people accept their role as a slave.
I can list 10 key events in the history of slavery in North America.
-It lasted U.S.A 1619-1865 Atlantic Slave Trade
-It lead to civil war, which is war within your own country
-Still impacts today!
-Without cotton in the South the North would not have been able to industrialize economy.
– 3 quarters of the worlds cotton came from the United States.
– South = Agriculture
Less rails, cities, roads, connection
Weaker in the civil war
1860- 4 million Slaves in the South
-Racism was Rampant
– Even the poorest white people tried to have/buy slaves
– Divide between social classes was the culture
– Majority or “imperializers” say they are helping them!
– Those who enslave justify slavery!
– Fear tactics
– Slaves were property
– With holding food